Friday, January 20, 2012

A little bit from the Chronicles


Part 1

At first I didn't hear anything, nothing but my own heartbeat. Then I heard a small squeak and creaking, as though a big metal door was there. I tried to open my eyes but my head had a big cloth around it, covering my eyes. I tried to move but I had been gagged and tied to a wooden stake thrust into the ground. I was a prisoner. I felt around for something to cut my bonds but there was nothing but smooth rock and dirt.

I heard footsteps coming so I went back to my unconscious position. I heard a loud creak and heard heavy footsteps echo through what sounded like a cavern or large room. I was hit hard in the shoulder by a pole and someone spoke in a low, rough voice, "Wake up, cur!" I sat up slowly and turned my head to where the voice was coming from. I was taken off of the wooden stake and was led through many chambers. Trying to remember them was very dizzying.

At last he halted and I heard shifting about seven feet away from me, then I heard a pair of large doors open. I was led into what sounded like a large auditorium of some sort. I was forced to my knees and my head was uncovered. I was blinded by the light as I looked at the room. It was a large cave that was smooth along the walls and floors to look like marble. Before me were dozens of warriors in plate armor. The front warriors had swords and large round steel shields. The warriors behind had two-handed swords or axes. Behind them was a staircase leading to a throne. Then I started realizing who had captured me, goblins.

I looked up at the throne and saw a large goblin sitting, and drinking what appeared to be wine. I was slapped across the face and heard a goblin shout, "Do not set eyes on the king." I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the king stand up and walk over to the warriors. They made a line on either side of the king as he walked toward me. My head was forced to look up at the ceiling, which was so high I couldn't see it. All I saw were the sharp amethyst crystals pointing straight down. Then I heard,"Why have you come here?"
"I didn't come here; your pack mules took me hostage." I said with contempt, to which I was slapped
The king hissed, "You are a long way from home, human. My scouts wouldn't have brought you in if you weren't on our territory. So I will ask this again, why have you come here?"
"I was out of your boundaries in the troll's cave, looking at what they left behind." I said curtly. The king chuckled, "Oh, pity. Well if we dont have a good reason to keep him we must let him go."  he jeered. I saw the goblins all laughing and pointing. I said with unease, "Ok, so can you let me go?"
The goblin king said with fire in his eyes, "I said if we didn't have a good reason, foolish man. If only you weren't human, then we wouldn't have a good meal tonight."

I looked around in horror at all the goblins there and thinking to myself, I wonder how many people they have eaten. The one behind me has a seven inch long dagger and a bow, and the king has a long sword at his side, the fifty or so goblins around me either have superior armor and weapons or don't have anything at all.

Everyone set out for the mess hall. When I was alone with my captors I seized the moment. I twisted and knocked the goblin behind me out from under his feet, and like lightning I took his dagger, and cut my bonds. I parried a blow coming from the king and cut off his sword arm. Before I gave him time to scream I killed him, then turned and killed the goblin on the ground. I looked for an escape route before all the goblins came back to check what the hold up was. I found a small compartment beneath the throne. Taking a gamble, I jumped in and closed the hatch. I walked along the small hallway for about an hour. Then the corridor started ascending and growing lighter and colder. I opened a small porthole and went through.

I walked out onto the outskirts of a town. I noticed a lot of smoke coming from it and then I saw a small child lying on the ground, looking battered and burnt. I ran to him and asked what happened. He stuttered, "Gobl-i-ins... Ma-achines that breathed fi-i.. fiire..."

As he took his last breath, watched as hundreds of goblins stormed the town and threw small round gourds filled with burning lamp oil. And then I saw something that would frighten even the demons. A large metal structure on wheels spewing fire from its maw. I knew it couldn't be a dragon or a fire spirit. I watched as it went through the town, burning everything, leaving a trail of destruction.

I knew what I had to do.

I went running toward the stable that hadn't been damaged. I released all the animals and picked the best horse and rode out on him. I rode for two nights upon this steed until I came to a stream on the outside of the human's realm. For another three nights I rode. I went passed cities, castles, and farms until I found Gehedreth and his men. I told all of the details of my journey up to the date. He told is men to saddle up, and without a final word we met the trail to what might possibly be our doom. 

Part 2

We rode with intense speed. We didn't care about our safety, but for the safety of the neighboring towns. For three days we rode through the realms of Aghednem and Arhentia, not stopping for even an hour

When we finally arrived at the town of Garnethi, there was nothing but ash. Even the mangled corpses of the men and goblins were but black mounds on the ground. Everyone stood in awe at the destruction that had ravaged the town. Not one soul who lived there was found alive.

In silent prayer we buried the dead and threw the goblins into a fire. Five hours it took to burn all the goblins and bury the men. It was a sickening sight and the stench was almost unbearable. "I remember growing up in this town," muttered a young warrior.

We saddled our horses and got ready for our departure. The sorcerers that had come put a condemned sign over the town to ward everyone away from the sight. It was a place of death. As we went to the second town called, Almehdia, we didn't talk to each other nor anyone.

We settled down for the night in a grove of ancient trees. Out of the 367 or so men who had come, 8 volunteered to be lookouts. Through the night barely any of us could sleep, dreading what we might find over the next hill.

When we departed the next day at dawn we entered the realm, Faeren, home to the Wood Elves. We saw smoke in the distance and raced towards it with speed equal almost to a leopard. 

Once we had got to the outskirts of the town, we noticed it had not been touched, the town was preparing for war. Over the hill opposite of us we saw the goblins and their dreaded 'Beast of Metal' as some people call it.
We heard the elves' horn of war and the battle had begun. Thousands of arrows rained upon the goblins as they bolted towards the town, glancing of the Beast's thick armor. We charged.

Yelling, we ran right into the fray, slaying as we went. The swords of the men and the elves fell upon the globins with such power as to knock out any with helmets on. The goblins were out matched, even though they outnumbered us five to one. We killed many of the goblins, but there was still the Beast to attend to.

I broke away from the group and sprinted up to the hill and whistled. Suddenly my great black dragon with grey armor came over the battle-field and landed before me. I hopped upon my mighty steed and flew above the battle-field.

Killing multitudes of goblins, we went towards the Beast. Seizing my chance, I jumped into the window at the top of the Beast, once we were in range.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Gears were turning and big wheels were going round and round inside the contraption. I traveled along the cat-walk to the front. I saw light ahead and I found where the goblins were controlling the Beast. I killed the two goblins sitting in the chairs looking over the battle-field. I saw a big red circle protruding from a board in the wall. I hit it and felt the best lurch.

It started to heat up in the hallway. almost five seconds after, the Beast started spewing fire out of the giant gaping hole on its front side. I dashed over to a seat and looked at the long board with knobs and levers. I pulled the closest lever backwards and the Beast shook and went back. I turned the lever sideways and it turned. Feeling accomplishment, I pulled the lever and went forward, away from the battle.

Running over most of the goblins on my way out, I pressed a green circle and it stopped spewing fire. I saw a yellow circle and pressed it. It started to shake and rumble. Running from the room I went through the corridor and out of the window.

I looked down but there were no footholds and no way up to the roof. I whistled, and then again. Suddenly my dragon came over to me. I jumped onto my steed and rode over to the town just in time. The great Beast exploded, sending debris all around.

A cry of gratitude and happiness came from the battle-field below. The remaining goblins were running into the forest, away from the town. We had been victorious.

At the town that night I was greeted with much loud shouting and I got clapped on the back a couple times. I went to see Gehedreth over at the hospital tent, for he had received a nasty gash on his upper arm. We talked for a bit and he briefed me about the next mission. We had a mighty celebration until the sun came up. When we returned, we became much more than heroes. Everyone in Gehedreth's unit became the closest of friends. As for me, well. I'm still a loner

2 comments:

  1. This is good. Surely this is only a condensed version? I can imagine using this for at least like... 6 chapters worth of material. But thats me. I tend to get really discriptive and slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah this is one just one part of the Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete